Cathy Knott, Assessor’s Clerk
The Assessor’s Office is located at:
5 Sunset Drive
Stuyvesant, NY 12173
Assessor Office Hours
Fridays 10:00am – 12:00 Noon
Saturdays 10:00am – 12:00 Noon
The Assessor’s Office can help residents with the many exemptions that are offered to qualified home owners in our town. These exemptions, when applied to your assessment on your primary residence, decrease your assessment and can affect the amount that you pay on your school taxes. We have these forms in our office and can help you fill out the information needed.
Visit the Assessments Page of the Columbia County, NY website.
Tax Exemptions Due Back March 1
- Enhanced STAR qualifications are you must be 65 or turning 65 years of age. There is also an income qualification, please contact the Assessor for updated amounts.
- Senior Exemption qualifications are the same as above with the exception of the income level. Contact the Assessor for updated income qualifications. You must renew this exemption each year.
- Veteran’s Exemption is offered to our residents. A copy of your DD214 is needed along with a form that our office will supply to you, in addition to your Deed. This exemption will be shown on your County & Town and School Tax Bills.
- Volunteer Firefighters Exemption forms are available in the Assessor’s Office.
- Disability & Low Income Exemptions have certain medical and income requirements that we can explain to you. Please call the Assessor’s Office to discuss this.
- Agricultural Exemption is offered to those who have land that is farmed. Please call our office for the information that is needed to begin the process to apply for this exemption.
All residents that have exemptions that must be renewed will receive renewal forms in December. These forms must be received in the Assessor’s office by March 1st of the following year. If you have any questions, we can help you fill out these forms.
NYS is Making Changes to the STAR Exemption Program
Important Dates in the Assessment Cycle
March 1: Taxable Status Date
Deadline for all exemptions and completion date for all building permits
May 1: Tentative Assessment Roll is filed
Fourth Thursday in May: Grievance Day
Board of Assessment Review meets to hear all complaints regarding assessments.
July 1: Final Assessment Roll is filed
October 1– March 1: Exemption Application period
December: Enhanced STAR forms are mailed from the Assessor’s Office
The form must be filled out and returned to our office by March 1
Your assessment is based upon the inventory that is on your parcel. If you remove a structure that is valuable to your assessment, please notify the Assessor, as it can be removed from the value of your inventory. To keep your assessment up to date, we suggest a visit to the Assessor’s Office periodically to check your inventory.
Download forms and get answers to many of your questions at: www.orps.state.ny.us
Please feel free to call the Assessor’s Office at 518-758-6248 Ext. 121 to help you with your exemptions.